When it comes to your home’s energy efficiency, your windows play a big part. As they age or suffer damage, most windows lose some of their insulating ability, resulting in energy efficiency drops. Homes get drafty during the cold months, and it costs more to keep your home at a comfortable temperature. Windows can also be made to fit your wanted design and decorative style. Whatever your reasoning is to want your windows replaced, it’s important to know what kinds of windows are available. This blog explains some of the different replacement window types our company offers.
Double and Triple Pane Windows:
Before diving into the difference between Double and Triple Pane Windows, we’ll start by explaining what a “pane” actually is. A “Window Pane” is quite literally a sheet of glass that separates the inside of your home from the outside. “Double Pane” and “Triple Pane” mean that there are 2 sheets and 3 sheets of glass layers (Glass Panes) that make up your window. When trying to decide which one is better for you, here are some things to consider:
Compared to double pane, triple pane windows not only make your home more comfortable when installed correctly, but they also improve your home’s energy efficiency, keep your house warmer in the winter, cooler in the summer, and less reliant on the central air system, which ultimately reduces your energy bills drastically.
Another reason homeowners often consider triple pane windows over double pane is because of their improved noise-reduction features. The extra pane of glass is an improvement compared to the noise-reduction capabilities of double-paned windows.
On average triple-pane windows cost 10-15% more than double-pane windows. This may not be such a significant price difference if you are replacing one or two windows, but if you are removing old windows in the entire house, getting triple-pane replacements can add several thousand dollars on top of your already expensive project.
Though triple-pane windows are more expensive, there’s a lot of benefit in return for the investment, especially when it comes to the amount of money you will be saving in the average cost of your energy bills.
Garden windows are a specific type of efficient windows that are created to protrude beyond the surface of your home slightly. Garden windows are usually installed above the kitchen sink and were initially intended to make growing herbs and other home plants more accessible and convenient when cooking. Now, garden windows are installed for a variety of different reasons. Here are 3 excellent benefits to installing a garden window:
- Act as a Mini Greenhouse: The design and structure of a garden window allow capturing of solar energy necessary for the proper nourishment of your plants while protecting them from unwell weather conditions.
- Natural Lighting: One of the biggest reasons we recommend you replace your old traditional window with a garden window is the increase in natural lighting. Since this type of window is three-dimensional and protruding, it will let more light into the interior of your house, which is guaranteed to brighten your home and your mood while adding amazing curb appeal to your home!
- Energy Efficient: Replacing your old traditional window with a garden window will increase the energy efficiency of your home by preventing heat loss, which will result in energy savings!
Sliding Glass Doors and Patio Doors:
Sliding patio doors are one of the most common window types in the PNW. When choosing the right patio door, you must consider energy efficiency, durability, safety, and aesthetic appeal.
Sliding glass doors consist of large glass sheets that are held together by a frame. This allows the perfect view of your backyard and the surrounding landscape without having to leave the comforts of your home. The window frame, size and overall look of your patio door can be customized to fit your wants and needs best.
Like other new windows, replacing your old patio door with a new one will help better insulate your home and bring down the average cost of your energy bills!
A skylight is a window that is placed on the roof of your home.
Skylights are the best way to introduce extra light to your living space, as well as provide a natural view that is sure to catch everyone’s eye! Installing a skylight in your home or business will not only change the aesthetics of the room but the atmosphere as well. Let’s discuss some of the benefits of a skylight:
- They increase the amount of natural light in a room, making even the smallest room look a lot bigger and airier than it is.
- The light it brings will decrease your need for electric lighting and ultimately reduce your utility bill.
- If you’re planning on selling your home soon, they are an excellent selling point for potential buyers; natural light is always a must!
Skylights are an overall fantastic addition to your home that bring so many overall benefits!
It’s important to note that not all window companies will be able to install this type of window.
A Bay Window is a fantastic way to make a statement in your home and is often a very desired style of window. Besides their beauty, they also have a lot of beneficial benefits!
- Allow for the perfect inclusion of natural light by providing a breathtaking panoramic view of the outdoors while adding style and volume to any space in your home.
- Provide good ventilation because they are a cluster of two or more windows; you can enjoy a nice breeze from two or multiple directions instead of just one.
- Are an excellent way to add value to your home and attract potential buyers.
And so much more!
Double and Single Hanging Windows:
The main difference between single hung and double-hung windows is how the two operate.
A single-hung window has a fixed top half and an operable bottom half that can move up and down vertically. A double-hanging window, both the top and bottom portion of the window are operable.
These kinds of windows are great for increased ventilation and air circulation in your home and are often easy to clean.
Sliding windows, or gliding windows, have sashes that glide left or right in either direction in a single frame, allowing easy use.
Like other windows, they maximize ventilation in your home and are easy to use. These windows are often found in areas of your home in which you need easy access to the fresh air from the outdoors, such as bedrooms and kitchens.
There are a lot of different types of windows, that come in different styles, shapes, and sizes. It’s up to you to decide what your wants and needs are when it comes to the window type that you choose. NW Commercial Exterior Company is dedicated to installing energy star custom windows that will look great and provide years of natural lighting and ventilation for your home. Call us today for all your window replacement needs or if you have any questions about window installation/replacement in the Hubbard OR area!